Friday, October 22, 2004

Black Elk Speaks

Today I finished reading Black Elk Speaks, a narrative by Black Elk, a Lakota medicine man who tells about Custer's Last Stand and the Wounded Knee Massacre. A link to read it online can be found by clicking on the title of this posting.

The book is fascinating because of its details about what it means to be a visionary in Native American cultures, and because of its descriptions of everyday and special happenings at the end of the ninteenth century as native peoples experienced the injustices and changes related to the settling of the West. Black Elk talks about so many battles, and I found it amazing that he lived through all of them.

It was good and thought-provoking reading. And I so enjoyed having it online so I could just look up a chapter while I ate my lunch.

No comments: