Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Update on Italian class

Today class finally settled into a pattern that I like. We've been so busy reviewing everything from 101 that we have done work work work every day. Today we were able to stretch out and do some enrichment work and some reading and some watching of a video clip, not to mention some good interactive practice of many of the topics we're learning now. Afterward, two of the students stayed back and we worked on making sense of some pronouns.

The fascinating thing is that no matter how many times you use a particular video clip or read a particular section of the book, no two classes will treat the activity the same. Teaching is a lot of planning and then a lot of curve balls thrown into those plans. I really love teaching these summer classes. I get my best ideas in the summer, and since the class meets so frequently the students maintain an elasticity from day-to-day that allows for a lot more experimentation.

Today we were reading about the Veneto and Friuli-Venezia Giulia. What a beautiful part of the world. The countryside is so green, with the Alps so unbroken and massive in the background. Most of what I've seen I've seen through a train window, but it is beautiful. And Venice, of course, casts a spell on you that never rubs off. I would love to be in Venice right now. It would be great to have a little apartment there for the summer. To wake up and read for a while with Venice outside the window, then to walk around and explore for a while, then to take a nap in the warmest part of the afternoon, wake up, and start the reading/wandering cycle again. If that were my life, I might die of contentedness.

Wow. I might die of contentedness right here and now just contemplating that life.

Pretend that the bridge below is the bridge that carries you across the lagoon to Venice. It so totally isn't, but it's ok to pretend anyway.

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Walk On the Ocean

1 comment:

Izzybella said...

Oh, wow!! I got all warm and fuzzy just contemplating how awesome that so-rigid schedule in Venice would be. I could so do that. In a heart-beat!!!