Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Jovanotti

The great thing about adding music to these posts has been the realization that I could blog for a LONG time and never mention everything that is good. Because here I am, posting one good thing in one category each time I post, and there is a whole world of great things beyond music that I am not posting.

Today one of my students brought in a stack of CDs to class for me to hear. I know it's quasi-lunacy, but two of the discs were of Jovanotti, whom I recognize in passing, but whose discs I've never really sat down and listened to. I was enjoying the two borrowed discs so much that I went online and downloaded Safari, which came out in 2008.

So here are some things to love about the Italian language. If you just hear it, it is beautiful. To me, it's the most beautiful language to listen to on earth. It can be smooth or staccato, it has a beautiful rhythm, and it lacks the hissing "s" sound at the end of every plural word. Then there is the understanding side of it, the technical, logical side that surprises completely and yet makes so much sense. And the flipside of the technical - the precise honesty of sentiment that sounds so cheesy in English but is just how it is in Italian. Italian is like Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch. Do you think he didn't know what he was doing? He did - he just did it in a country that pooh-poohs honest exuberance.

Ok. I know that the above was just the worst paragraph ever written, but the simple truth is that Italian blows my mind and brings my deep layers to the surface.

Here is a good song from the newly-purchased disc. Please notice the view of the Tetons from Oxbow Bend 41 seconds into the song. There aren't very many places in the world that can compare with that view.

Jovanotti - Fango


No comments: