Saturday, May 08, 2010

So you remember what I wrote a few days ago...

about happy music? And how I really can't stomach it? I lied. Today I downloaded the latest album from Gogol Bordello and I admit defeat. I just want to dance. Exuberantly. Not that the whole album is a happyfest - some of it is not happy. But it's an emotion-wrenching ride throughout - and honest, and authentic in a way a lot of music isn't. Like you remember in the 80's when Bono's voice was so hungry? and U2 played with such urgency? Gogol Bordello's got that now, but the traditionality of its sound base takes it beyond rock in its urgency and tenacity. Maybe? Or maybe I should leave the describing to the music critics and just dance.

Here's a link to listen from GB's website. I recommend the whole album, but if you're picking and choosing a sampling, Pala Tute, My Companjera, When Universes Collide, In the Meantime in Pernambuco, and for something a bit more melancholy, Sun is On My Side. Enjoy.

Gogol Bordello - Pala Tute

No comments: