Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Lucked out today...

...and when one of my 1st period freshmen, one who is usually sullen and complainy, asked me to print out for her a Langston Hughes poem this morning I actually didn't screw up the task in her eyes for once. I told her that she should probably pick out the one she wanted in the library, but she really didn't want to go. I asked her point blank if I was doing an assignment for her and she said it would be something she would be working with in class, but it wasn't an assignment yet. So I did it. In exchange for her making and posting a sign on the door saying we were going to another classroom for the day. Anyway, I didn't dare just blindly print out one poem for her, or it wouldn't have been one she would have accepted (did I mention sullen and complainy?) So I printed out four. One hopeful, one celebrating jazz life, one recounting the experiences inherent in his roots, and one miscellaneous, slightly melancholy one. I figured that about covered Langston Hughes.

Not until the end of the class when I was handing over the sheet of poems did she say, "So did you print out my favorite one?" And I'm thinking 'ooooOOOOOOoooooh. So now you let me know you have a preference.' I just gave her the paper. A minute later, she was back at my side, pointing one of the poems out. It turned out that by blind luck I had hit the one that is her favorite. And for just a moment the look in her eyes was not one of sullen complainy hatred or distain...she actually smiled. Ya gotta love it. (Here's the poem: Mother to Son.)

So yes, in the year 2010 it's a little trite, but today's song HAS to be:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit



Ha! And once upon a time, I was in high school listening to that, all sullen and complainy, and now I have to go finish writing the final for the class at the university. Fun for all.

And p.s. - I did take time out this afternoon to watch Lost. Tears.

1 comment:

Izzybella said...

That's kind of an awesome story. There's hope yet.