Monday, April 19, 2010

From the depths of the Earth to Outer Space

I admit I watch the TV shopping networks when they're showing jewelry. Stone jewelry. Precious, semi-precious - I am amazed at the colors of rocks that come out of the earth. But tonight I had to laugh when the presenter was trying to figure out how much three payments on $90 would be - she was like "I know we have someone here who can just figure that out..."

That woman makes a lot more than I do, and she gets to wear lots of pretty jewelry. Just saying.

Another funny thing today. I was reading an op-ed in the New York Times from Iceland. It's worth reading, but my favorite part was a description of a couple of the jokes that are making the rounds there, since the bursting bubble of Iceland's economy has caused problems in Europe, and now their erupting volcano has thrown air traffic in Europe off for the better part of a week. My favorite line?

"It was the last wish of the Icelandic economy that its ashes be spread over Europe."

Yeah, I had to laugh at that one out loud.

So here is today's song. Why? I don't know. Something about "And all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week..." And I was thinking about how you just don't get popular songs about outer space any more. Are we so used to it, those of us who were born after the start of the space age? We interact with space every day, sending information bouncing around from satellite to satellite and back again, and looking at the cool colorized pictures that the Hubble telescope shoots back to us. But who dreams of going into space? Why don't we long for it and sing about it? Have we given that dream up to the robots? I don't know. Anyway. Here is the song.

Elton John - Rocket Man


No comments: