Saturday, September 08, 2007

Non ti scordar di me


What to say? I mean, I certainly am not letting the passing of Pavarotti go unnoted here, but this is just one of those times when words are inadequate and possibly do more harm than good. There aren't enough superlatives in all of the languages combined to describe his voice, his persona, or the impact he had on millions, myself included. Let's face it: Pavarotti was my first introduction to opera and to the Italian language (a beautiful and yet somewhat frustrating introduction at that--I distinctly remember when I was in second grade or so trying to follow along with the words on the dust cover of the album--they made no sense according to the spelling rules I knew at the time). So seeing him go makes me sad. The world needs more bounteous, joyful personalities like his.

No comments: